STOCKDALE MILL

Historical Timeline

 

1816 Indiana becomes 19th state
1835-36 John Anderson and his family build a cabin on Squirrel Creek just off the Eel River (north and east of present mill)
1836 Pottawatamee Indians deed 9 sections (including Stockdale) to Ewing Bros. (plus four others) for $7200 (5760 acres)
1838 Thomas Goudy starts sawmill on Eel River
1840-45 Thomas Goudy builds first flour mill out in the river - was washed away in flood (approx. 1852-56)
1853 Town of Roann is founded
1856-58 Baker & Ranck build present mill on north bank of Eel River
1861-65 Mill produces flour for Union Army during Civil War
1881 James M. Deck and his father arrive in Stockdale - both are stone dressers - father returns to Pennsylvania and James stays
1883 Roller mill process begins with purchase of "breaks" replacing stone buhrs
1886 James M. Deck acquires interest in mill - paid $1100 for 1/6 interest
1883-1890 New machinery to mill flour is invented during American Industrial Revolution
1907-1910 Three turbines purchased from Leffel Co. - replaces water wheel(s)
1909 Weigh shed and office added to mill
1915-17 Concrete dam peplaces timber dam built in 1839-40
1917 James H. Deck assumes operation of mill at death of father James M.
1927 Vertical batten removed from mill and replaced with horizontal redwood siding
1938 Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act
1952 Addison and Norma (Deck) Krom assume management of mill at death of Norma's father
1964 Mill ceased flour production due to higher taxes, new laws and modern competition, but continues producing feed for animals
1972 Mill ceases production of animal feed and closes
2002 Mill and property is sold to Stockdale Mill Foundation for stabilization and reconstruction
2003 Organized tours begin at mill
2006 Power restored to all floors
2007 Celebrating 150 years !

The official historical timeline of the Stockdale Mill Foundation will be revised whenever new research warrants.

<<< Back to History

Menu
Pictures
S.M.F.
Structure
History
Restoration
Location
Links